Folarin Falana known as Falz is a popular Nigerian Singer, song writer, Vocalist, Rapper and Actor.
He was born on the 27th of October, 1990, in Mushin Local government area of Lagos, Nigeria to renowned Lawyers and human right activists, Femi and Fumi Falana.
Falz attended St. Leo’s Catholic primary school, Ikeja; where he obtained his first school leaving certificate.
After graduating from primary school, Falz enrolled in Olashore International school, Osun state, in the South western part of Nigeria, where he obtained his secondary school certificate.
There after, Falz got admitted into University of Reading England where he studied Law.
Falz has been this kind of person that is very vibrant, lively and fun to be with which made his class mates like him while in secondary school.
However, he formed a music group with his Friends “The school Boys”. He was the leader group. Falz and his group member always gather after school period is over to rap and do some kind of rapping competition there by throwing punchlines.
In 2009, he released a compilation of his recording as a mixtape titled “Shakara”. The song was welcomed among his peers. He didn’t stop there but was very determined to pursue his music career.
Later on in 2012, Falz released a single titled “Wazz Up Guy”. He also went further to release another song titled ” Currency” and “High class” that same year, which gained him a solid ground in the Nigerian Music Industry.
The singer kept on pushing, all he want is for his voice to be heard. He was very determined.
He was listed in tooxclusive’s “Artiste to watch in 2014″. The young singer gathered enough energy and went further to release his Debut studio album which he titled ” Wazz Up Guy”.
Although Wazz up is a cool album, but it was critically acclaimed by Nigeria Music Critics. He didn’t stop there, he kept on working hard, inspite of every possible obstacles.
In 2015, Falz was nominated in the “Best collaboration of the year” Category at the 2015, Nigeria Entertainment Award for his Chart-topping single ‘Marry me’.
Falz was also nominated in the “Best Rap Act of the year” and “Best New Act to watch” Categories same year.
Hitherto, Falz didn’t settle there. The young rapper got back to his feet and release a mind blowing single tilted “Ello Bae” which won him a nomination in the “Best Street Hop Artistes of the Year” category at the 2015 Headies Award.
After some months, Falz announced the release of his second studio album titled ‘Story that Touches’ on the 3rd of November, 2015. Then on the 17th of November same year, He released the album.
FALZ SONGS AND ALBUM
- Wazzup Guy – Falz released his first studio album titled ‘Wazz up guy’ the album was produced by some top Nigerian Record producers like DJ Woske, Tin Tin, Spellz, and Magic. The album contians about 18 tracks. It has some guest appearance from Show Dem Camp, Phenomenon, Yemi Alade and Olamide. The album sold thousand copies and some tracks that made up the album are Toyin tomato, Senator, Right now, see me, high class, marry me, Jessica, oh God, cool parry and the advice.
- Story that touches– Story that touches was released in November 2015. The album contains 16 tracks and a bonus single. He featured Simi, Reminisce, sess, Reekado Banks, MI, Chigurl Onyikasola, Shaydee, Phyno and show dem camp. He released the album following the release of the previous single ‘Ello bae’. Story that touches has some track like, Mid-flight, Kabiyesi, My people, karishika, and Announcement.
- Chemisty- Falz released the hit single ‘Chemistry’ in collaboration with popular Nigerian female singer ‘Simi’ who is now married to Adekunle Gold with a child. The song was released in October 2016. produced by Seas, the song among the seven track E.P. Falz also did two other single in collaboration with Simi, the songs includes, Jamb Question and Soldier. However the single Chemistry received massive acceptance from the public. Nevertheless, the both singers did a wonderful job on the song.
- 27- 27 is another album falz released. The album was dropped in respect to his 27th birthday in 2017 which tooks place annually on the 27th of October. The album has 17 tracks which includes, Wehdon Sah, Something Light, Bahd, Bahddo, Bahdest. It featured Burna Boy, Wande coal, Sir Dauda, Maleek Berry, Medical, Y-cee, Terry Apalla, Davido and Olamide. The album was produced with huge contributions from studio magic and maleek Berry studio.
- This is Nigeria- This is Nigeria is one of the song that must thrill you when you listen to it. The singer listed so many things happening in Nigeria such as Bribery and Corruption which he exposes in his lyrics. Though, the song and its video was alleged to have come from an inspiration gotten from ‘Childish Gambino’, “This is America”, an Actor and comedian. The song was later banned by The National Broadcasting Commission on the account of it being a vulgar song. Falz been a lawyer, wore his lawyer hat and sued NBC a whooping sum of
N100 million. Falz ranked number 9 on the Notjustok list of ” The 10 most gifted Rappers in Nigeria 2014″. “Falz’s ability to maintain a thought and get his point across in 16 barz while switching accents, infusing funny punchlines and delivering all of it in away that makes listener follow along is nothing short of impressive” they said.
- Ello Bae- Hit single ‘Ello bae’ was written and recorded by Falz in the year 2015. It was released under his second Debut studio album “Story that touches”. The album which was released in November 2015. Ello bae is actually his first solo effort after he released wazzup guy and it won him several awards in Nigeria and Diaspora. Falz is such a funny individual, he was very strategic about the launch of the single ‘Ello bae’ as it was launched just before Valentine season.
- The scream Awards
- Best New Act Awards of the year 2014
- Nigerian Entertainment Awards
- Best Rap of the year Awards
- Best New Act To Watch Awards 2015
- BET Awards
- Viewers Choice Best International Act
- City people music Awards
- Alternative Artiste of the year Awards 2017
- The Headies Award Best performer 2018
Falz is not only a musician but also a very talented actor as well. Below are the movies he has featured in so far.
He was one of the character in the movie ‘Jennifer’s Diary’ in 2015, where he played the role of Segun. The role he played in the movie is a very funny one and of course real. He infuses ascent which made him a unique character in the movie.
There after featured In another interesting movie titled ‘Tinsel’ where he played the role of Kayode Beko-williams.
Falz never compromises, he is very tactical in the character he played in the movie.
3.10 Days in Sun City
He featured in another wonderful movie titled ’10 Days in sun city’ where he played the role of Seyi.
Falz brought his whole energy and acting spirit down to earth in this aforementioned movie. Indeed it was a wow.
Merry men, the real Yoruba demons is a movie that brought so many talent together both from the hut of Music, Comedy and of course Acting. Falz delivered as expected in the movie.
Some of the movies he featured in includes Chief Daddy, Merry men 2, Muna and His Excellency.